Morgan’s Replacement Links Widget 0.7

This version requires WordPress 2.1 or above. Given that we’re on WordPress 2.3, and they’ve changed how links work since 2.1… it’s time for me to get my code up to snuff and out of the deprecated bin.

I also added in the ability to specify how you want to sort the display of links, per request.

Download here:

Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Morgan’s Replacement Links Widget 0.7

1. Gary says:

Thanks for the update!
    Exactly what I wanted – links to open in a new window!
    Thanks a million.

Gary

2. Steve says:

I was finally ready to start publishing my blog after I found your plugin. It solved a major headache for me and was working great.

Unfortunately, I just upgraded to WordPress 2.3.2 and your plugin seems to have stopped working and I can’t seem to be able to get it to work again.

3. Steve Davis says:

Just wanted to let you know that for some reason the plugin is working again for the first time since I upgraded to WordPress 2.3.2. I don’t know why but am not complaining. I just went back to my Blog this morn and it was just working. Strange.

4. max says:

i’ve put this thing into every directory i can think of and nothing seems to change on the widget management panel.

how do you install it?

5. max says:

ah, nvm. a word to the wise for anyone else who is having difficulties, my IE7 (with all the latest Vista patches) required a full cache flush before this plug in would show up. very weird.

6. Brian says:

This is a great widget – been looking for one like this for a while. My current blogroll has two categories of links, so I’d like to use this widget twice to have two pull-down menus in the side bar. Any suggestions on how to do this?
    (Perhaps a hack would be to trick WordPress into installing two versions of the same widget?)

Thanks,

Brian

7. Brian says:

Nevermind, I got it. Just change the # of links widgets I want.

B

8. Skip Stone says:

Thanks for your work I am using both your plugins they are great! They defiantly helped me to move from MT 4.1 which has gotten so complicated that it kind of mirrors Windows Vista. I do have a request though. How about a Recent Posts drop down widget? Something that could display say 10 of the last post no matter what category they are in. Other than that I am almost through moving my blog. Old blog. New blog.

9. Ari says:

Hey there, I’ve been using your Links widget for a while in WP 2.3. I am thinking about migrating to wordpress 2.5 and I am wondering whether the plugin still works. Anyone tested this yet??

Thanks!

10. stormerider says:

Thanks!

I’m currently in the process of testing these for 2.5.

11. David says:

Thanks for having this page. I was going to ask if you could have instances for this widget and thanks to Brian’s note that he changed the number of widgets he wanted, I figured it out. Never noticed that choice at the bottom of the widgets panel before.

12. David says:

And I should say, my wife thanks you. She had one huge link category and wanted a pull-down for it, without having the other categories as pull downs. Your widget made her very happy.

13. Phil says:

Hi,

Many thanks for a great plugin. I’m using wp2.7.1, and I’m having a bit of a problem with formatting.

The drop-down box for one set of my links shows:
    Select Link

Title of Category
    Link1
    Link2
    Link3

It looks a bit messy with the gap between “select Link”, and having the title in the drop down list.

Am I doing something wrong? Or is there a tweak I can do?

Thanks

Phil

14. kc says:

Love the widget, but is there some way to shrink the width of the pulldown menu itself?

15. Mugger says:

1. You should update “Morgan’s Replacement Links Widget version 0.6” to say 0.7.
    2. Instead of scroll-down, could you offer a version to page-down? …
    similar to Google ad blocks with the up/down icons.

16. stormerider says:

@Mugger: Fixed the text.

I don’t really have the time right now to implement CSS/JS based paging on the links. Maybe someone else in WP land can do that.

17. Barry says:

Hi,

I downloaded the widget to use on this site.

I uploaded it to the site and looked for it when I opened the site. It didn’t show up. I flushed the cache as a previous poster said to do and it still doesn’t show up.

Is there something I’m leaving out? Is there a special sequence to activate the widget?

Thanks,

Barry

18. swiss420 says:

I was wondering if anyone is using Morgan’s Replacement Links Widget 0.7 with WP 3.01? I can use one instance just fine but just cant figure out how to be able to use more. Below the Widgets there is the option to select the amount of Links Widgets but still only “Morgan’s Links 1” is available not more. Any help greatly appreciated. I dont think there is any other Dropdown Widget for WP

19. stormerider says:

@swiss420: I haven’t updated anything in a while, but if I have a chance I’ll try to look at this next weekend. Work’s been keeping me pretty busy lately so this weekend is already booked.

20. swiss420 says:

Acctualy your work is great. It was the thematic.0.9.6.2 Theme that did not work with the plugin. I thought I tried it out on another theme before posting but I guess not. Thanks for the great work. One quick question if you ever get around to it. Is it possible to call the Widget somehow within a post or page? Trying to create a Link Collection Page with dropdowns(Startpage with local links for friends and customers). But can’t find a way to populate a dropdown box with my WP bookmarks. I am using MM_Jumpbox java script right now but have to add links directly on the page. Take care and thanks for the great Plugin.

21. Steve says:

Hello !
    Good widget !
    But same problem as swiss420, under WP 3.04 (for multiple instance).
    Thank you for you work !

22. Ryan says:

Great widget. Silly question…
    how can I remove the words “Quick Links” from the drop down?
    ( http://www.lamontcounty.ca )