Category Replacement Widget update…

As requested, a new version of the Category Replacement Widget with support for drop-down category lists:

Control panel

Example of it in action:

Example...

Category Replacement widget version 0.3

Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Category Replacement Widget update…

1. andrew says:

i really like this widget– it is EXACTLY what i was looking for. my only complaint is this: when i change it to dropdown menu, it no longer recognizes my permalink structure. i had previously set up so that categories were listed like /blog/nameofcategory rather than the default /category/nameofcategory, but when i switched to dropdown menu, the widget stopped recognizing my customized permalink structure, and instead would send the browser to the /category pages. any way you could fix this? (curiously enough, it worked fine when categories were displayed in a list).

thanks so much for creating this great widget– cheers!

2. stormerider says:

thanks so much for creating this great widget– cheers!

I think this should be fixed in version 0.4, which I just released today. Give that a shot and see if it fixes things for you?

3. andrew says:

perfect! thanks so much for the quick fix, and for making this widget.

4. Ems says:

hello, am currently using this widget and i so love it! Im just wondering though how to ouput the posts in each category as “links” instead of the post. For example, i selected “category 1” in the dropdown, i want to see the links of all the posts under category 1. Would that possible?

Thanks in advance.

5. fruityoaty says:

This is a fantastic plugin. Keep up the excellent work!

6. BetaCandy says:

Does this not work in 2.1? I’ve installed it in the widgets folder and later in the plugins folder. It activated from both places, but when I went to my sidebar widgets, it wasn’t there to grab.

There were no installation instructions included. Did I miss a step or something?

7. BetaCandy says:

Never mind. It suddenly showed up. Maybe my browser cached something.

THANK YOU! This is EXACTLY what I’ve been looking for. Every other dropdown category plugin I found put the subcategories in a stack on top of the main cats, instead of distributing the hierarchy properly. Yours works perfectly.

8. Piers says:

Hi there,
    Lovely plugin – very useful to me.
    I’m also using the Post Levels plugin and have set many posts in categories to Level 10 (administrators can only see these).
    When I then login as a normal user with Level 0, I can still see all of the categories but when I click on them I get a 404 error.

If nobody is logged in then the categories with private posts don’t get shown (which is what I would expect).

I’m using WP 2.1.3 Is this maybe some incompatability with the Post Levels plugin?

9. stormerider says:

Hi there,
    Lovely plugin – very useful to me.

Assuming you have the latest version of the widgets plugin… if you deactivate my plugin and use the standard category widget, does it do the same thing?

If so, I’d ask the Post Levels author about it.

If not, let me know and I’ll take a look at it when I have the opportunity.